Friday, March 30, 2018

Fish Fridays

Why do Catholics eat fish on Fridays before Easter?  I'm a Catholic. No one really knows the answer to this question.  There is a long tradition that goes back hundreds of years that Catholics are not supposed to eat "red meat" on Fridays during Lent, the 40 days before Easter. Easter is this Sunday. Today is called Good Friday, the day that we believe that Jesus was killed on the cross, crucified.  I usually eat meat on Fridays during Lent because I forget it's Friday. But today is Good Friday, so I remembered. I'm going to Wendy's with my wife to have a fish sandwich for lunch. They have good, fresh fish sandwiches, and cheap, two for five dollars. If you notice, all of the fast food places have specials on fish sandwiches on Fridays before Easter. It's all about business. But it's also part of the Catholic tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment