Sunday, August 1, 2010

Text Messaging Mania

I read somewhere the other day that text messaging has become the primary way that young people communicate with each other. I think a close second is Facebook. Some teenagers and college students send HUNDREDS of text messages a day. I know. I've got teenage daughters. And I teach at a community college. Between classes I see the majority of students either checking their cell phones for text messages or sending text messages. What could all these messages be about? Why would they rather send text messages to each other than talk to the other person on the cell phone, or just have a face-to-face conversation?

Last night I was watching television with my 17-year old daughter, Maria, and we saw an advertisement for a new cell phone that you can talk into and it converts your recorded message into a text message. I turned to Maria and asked her if she would want one of those phones. She said no, that they would just be for people who were too lazy to type a text message. Beside, she said, if you recorded a message, why wouldn't you want the other person to hear that instead of reading it as a text message? Maybe there is still hope.

Can you imagine how we managed to live a mere 10 years ago before everyone had a cell phone? Don't get me wrong. I think technology is a good thing and has improved our lives in many ways. Usually. But sometimes I wonder if we are using the technology or the technology is using us. What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. I'm older than the "young people" to whom you refer, but I still prefer to send a text rather than to have a phone conversation if there are just bits of information that need to be conveyed. if the information gets too involved than you pretty much need to break down and make the call, but otherwise it is faster and more to the point to just send a text. When making a phone call, there is the obligatory greeting and "warm up" before the information is exchanged. Then the information and follow-up or side information that is more pleasantry than necessity. After that there is additional subject matter to add in because it is what we were taught was the "polite" way to use the telephone (...and how's the family...). Finally, when that is all done, there is the obligatory, and sometimes awkward ending...well, I guess I'll get going now, have a nice day, you too, see you later, good bye... All this just to find out one little bit of information.
    In a text message, you just say what it is you really need to say and that's the end of it. My last text message was to my son and it simply asked "r u @ school yet" The reply: "not yet". That told me all I needed to know, but a phone call would probably have been stretched out with questions such as when he will be there, why he wasn't there already, or if he changed his mind about going there after all. Also, if the person isn't in a position to talk or use their phone at the time a call comes in, it is more inconvenient than just checking for a text that will stay there until you are ready to look at it. I have text messaged people sitting across the room before simply because I wanted to say something privately that I didn't want others to hear (can we leave now, these people are really boring). It works for some, it doesn't work for others. It is nice to have the option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps, sorry. Didn't mean to write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,

    You make some excellent points about text messaging that I hadn't really thought about before. Maybe texting is (or can be) a good way to communicate after all. I'll need to think about this. Thanks for sharing your perspective and making me see things in a different light.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me text messaging can practice my English:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serena,

    Another good point. Text messaging can be a good way to practice your English. Maybe text messaging isn't so bad after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is all good or all bad. Yes, texting can be one good way to practice your English. Just don't overdo it and text all day! Talk to the person in front of you.

      Delete
  6. I believe that technology is using us as puppets on an empty stage of life. With everything, there is an adavantage to technolgy. There are circumstances where all of the above mentioned is very handy. I think that it can lead to isolation for the shy and meek and lead to ignorance for the self-important. What will become of our communication skills in the near future if we never have eye contact or "talk" to each other? Why even learn a language without seeing the eyes of a stranger from a foreign land, or feeling the emotions in their intonations. Soon we may have another "app" to apply[push for Spanish, etc} I won't even comment on the lost art of letter writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with a lot of what you say. Technology can be used as a kind of brainwashing. Beware!

      Delete
  7. If I text all day my fingers are going to hurt.
    I prefer if you call me.
    sometimes you can see the young people texting and talking at the same time with other people and I wonder if they can concentrate in one thing. or if they can live without a phone ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a new medical condition called "texting thumbs" that many young people have from texting too much. They have to go to the doctor because they use their thumbs too much to text! It's a problem.

    ReplyDelete