Monday, June 27, 2011

Writing Basics: Thinking and writing

Thinking is the first step of the writing process. Everything (including writing) begins with a thought. This stage of writing is sometimes referred to as pre-writing or brainstorming. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself before you start writing, and have clear answers in your mind. This will make the writing go much better. Don't hurry or skip this step.

What is my topic?
What am I going to write about that topic?
What do I already know about the topic and what research do I need to do?
Who are my readers? Who is my audience?
What do my readers already know about the topic and what might they be interested in learning from me?
How can I grab my readers' attention from the very beginning, whether I am writing a paragraph, essay, article, or book?
What unique perspective can I bring to the topic based on my own knowledge and experience?

After you have answered all these pre-writing questions and jotted down some notes to capture your thoughts, you are ready to start organizing your thoughts in the form of an outline.

7 comments:

  1. What I use to do is think what I'm goimng to write about. I like to write about previous experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this writing step are very imporatant. If i fallow this step, i belive i wil definately write better. Especially befor writing the assay, it's better to write it down our thought first. I belive that it will help me become a better at writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for your article, I think that those Steps can help me a lot to write an interesting paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to write because I need to improve my English.I can't wait to read and write very well as soon as possible.Why we don't do journal in this class?. It was helpful in the other writing classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thise is what I do think about what I am going to write about make my outline them write my paraphrag

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think that might be very helpful, who want to be a good writer or you are in writing class ,from those step anf organizing your thoughts in the from of an outline.Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nguzi, First organize your thoughts. That is the KEY.

    ReplyDelete