Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Talking to strangers

          This morning I had an interesting experience. I was returning some merchandise to the Costco store on Michigan Avenue. As I was walking through the parking lot towards the store with my cart and merchandise, a young woman passed me leaving the store pushing a cart piled with stuff. As she passed by, she looked at me, smiled, and said, "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" It surprised me a little, because I didn't recognize her. After a pause, I replied, "Yes, it is a beautiful spring day!"  Then I looked at her again, and asked, "I'm sorry, Do I know you?" because she acted like she knew me and she didn't look familiar to me. She said, "No" laughed, smiled and went on her way to her car. This made me start wondering why we don't say "hello" or just make a simple greeting to people we don't know. So I decided to do a quick experiment. After I returned the merchandise and got to Ivy Tech, I decided to say hello to 10 random students while I walked to my first class. These are the results of my experiment; five of them said "hello" back to me and a couple of them smiled and said, "How are you?" Three of them looked at me and didn't say anything. Two said "hello" but didn't look at me. They looked down at the floor. So I started thinking about the years that I lived in Mexico, and that it was common to greet strangers you passed by on the street with some pleasantry or comment about the weather. When I got to class, I told my students, who are from many countries around the world, about my experience and asked them what they thought. They said that in general, most Americans are friendlier to strangers than people are in their countries. One student from an African country insisted that in his country you would never greet a person you didn't know or had not been introduced to. It would be considered bad manners. A student from another African country said that in his country it was common to say "hello" to anyone you passed in the street, whether you knew them or not.  Obviously, this is a lot more complicated than I had originally thought. You can't just say that Americans are this way and everyone else is a different way.  Many times our international students complain that they don't have American friends, even if they have lived in the U.S. for several years. So I challenged them to just say "hello" to 10 American students, as I had,  as they walk around campus, and see what happens. I told them that, who knows, they might start up a conversation with one of these "strangers" and make a friend. Just as it was for me, it might be uncomfortable for them to say "hello" to someone they don't know, but it might be a risk worth taking. What do you think?

29 comments:

  1. Back home, it’s uncommon for girls to say hello to stranger. You only say hello to people that are in the same building as you but when walking out in public, it’s considered rude to say hello to someone you don’t know; they will think that you are up to something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you talk to strangers in India people usually think that you are crazy people will tell you be quiet .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's good to say to anyone good morning, hello, how are you or it's a good day because by this way you will make more friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on who you are talking to and what country you are in...

      Delete
  5. There are many differences culture in Americans and some people might get comfortable to say "hello" but some are might not to say "hello". I think, it is good to say "hello" to everyone everywhere that we meet a people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think most people would be fine with a stranger saying "hello" as they pass by. At least in the U.S. Maybe not in New York City. It's complicated.

      Delete
  6. In my country Mexico is very common to say hello or how are you, no matters what. when I was child my family show me good manners and give respect but the time changed and manners, method and styles like What's up!!! many say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I noticed when I lived in Mexico. You didn't have to know someone to say hello.

      Delete
  7. This depends on the external appearance of a person or perhaps depends on how people are attracted to you .. and I think that some of the positions, such as bus or ride the elevator probably will make them friends in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have to know when to say "hi" and when not to.

      Delete
  8. in my opinion if you smile to people, they smile you back. And maybe say "hello" to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my country, it is normal for women to greet another women wherever they go whether they know them or not. On the other hand, it is considered bad manners if woman greet a strange man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to be friendly and kind, but most of the people in my country especially the ladies give me the cold shoulder and I feel bad about it. But most of the Americans are friendly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most Americans are friendly. So say hello and make a friend. It will help your English. You have to be careful about talking to women who you don't know. They may get the wrong idea and give you the "cold shoulder." :(

      Delete
  11. American people was very difficult to talk for the stranger. I thinks Asian in more polite than American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Americans are not friendly to strangers and some are. If you just say hello to American students you see at Ivy Tech, most of them will probably be friendly and say hi or hello to you. Of course, you need to be careful about talking to a young woman who you don't know. She may get the wrong idea...:(

      Delete
  12. when I come to American I see all people smile and say hello or how are you I felt strange but now I do the same thing and try to be more frindly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think most Americans are friendly. Say hello and you might make a new friend.

      Delete
  13. Traveling is good things ,you know different couture,everyone had proper civilization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, travelling is so for you in many ways, as you mention. I wish I could travel more. I don't have enough time and money to travel to the places I want to visit like Spain and Ireland.

      Delete
  14. The first thing caught attention in America .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was it, exactly, that caught your attention? What did you see?

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion it's good to say good morning, hello, how are you if you need to contact and make American friend and to learn and to understand this new society and new culture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my opinion it's good to say good morning, hello, how are, you if you need to contact and to make Friend American and to learn and to understand new culture and new society.

    ReplyDelete