Monday, July 4, 2011

Writing Basics: To Improve your writing, write

Writing is similar to any other language skill (reading, speaking, listening); to improve the skill, you need to practice the skill. For writing, that means writing as much as possible, different types of writing, as often as possible. That's why many writing/composition teachers ask their students to write in a daily journal. It gives students a reason to write every day, about something, whatever they want to write about. And the journal is usually not corrected, or corrected very lightly, by the teacher. If you want to play the piano, practice every day playing the piano. If you want to write well, practice writing every day. And work on improving your writing a little every day, using new words, grammar, expressions, that you have learned. Read what you have written and ask yourself how you could have written it better. Re-write what you wrote making necessary changes. Ask a native speaker to read your writing and give you some feedback about it, and how you could have written it better. To write better, write more often.

2 comments:

  1. I am a forigner here. My first language is not english, so I have given priority to speak english a better way more than writting.But after I read your Blog I decided to commite my self to read more and more to be a better writter too.

    Thanks Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is good practice for my English but I dont like to write. What I doing nw is typing and that is helping me with my writing.

    ReplyDelete