Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Can you learn a language online?

Can you learn a language online? A year ago I would have said no. Based on my background in linguistics, understanding of first and second language acquisition, experience teaching Spanish and English, and my own firsthand experience learning Spanish at the university and then while living and teaching in Mexico, I would have said that the best way to learn a language is by living in a place where that language is spoken, becoming immersed in the language and culture 24/7. I still believe that. A next best method would be to learn the language in a classroom, interacting with a good language teacher and other students actually speaking, listening to, reading and writing the language. All languages are first spoken and then written. So, in my opinion, learning to communicate verbally in a language should be the primary goal of language instruction. So how could you learn a language online?

I've changed my thinking on this question. At the community college where I teach Spanish, I recently took a course for faculty on how to teach online. I am now teaching first and second semester Spanish courses online with an excellent, highly interactive and dynamic program which includes a variety of activities on speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, and culture. There is a discussion board on which students can interact with me and the other students in Spanish. The students record themselves speaking in Spanish, and I listen to them and provide feedback. They can even arrange online chats in Spanish with their classmates.

Learning a language online might not be the ideal way to learn a language, and it might not be for everyone, but I now believe that it can be an effective way to learn a second language. Many of my students work full time, so having to attend a class on a specific day and time can be a challenge. Being able to study online on their own schedule, any time and any place, can be a major advantage.

1 comment:

  1. I never considered taking any course on-line simply because that I thought it may prove difficult for myself personally. I thought that taking a correspondence course proved difficult enough. I found myself getting two extensions because of procrastinating. However, I was a lot younger and was not paying for it myself. It is funny how much more seriously one takes their studies when one actually writes the check... Now, after reading your blog on learning a language online-I have a different view. The possibilities are endless... Imagine a student learning from afar in Africa or Nebraska. This may be their only alternative. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete