Monday, June 21, 2010

Getting Back to Language

Most of my recent blogs have been about soccer because I am so interested in the World Cup games. In today's blog I will return to language, English specifically. One of the most commonly used words in spoken English is "get." It is very common, especially in informal speech, and it seems that it has many meanings, but really all the different meanings of "get" can be classified in three groups.

(1) "Get" is used instead of "be" in passive sentences. So we can say, "My wallet was stolen" or "My wallet got stolen" and both sentences mean the same thing.
(2) "Get" means this: 0 <------. Something or someone goes towards something or someone or is received by something or someone. "I got a present from my friend" means the same as "I received a present from my friend."
(3) "Get" means "become." "I got tired" means the same as "I became tired." Or "She got pregnant" means "She became pregnant."

If you are learning English as a Second Language and having trouble understanding all the different uses and meanings of "get," this explanation might help you to understand and use "get" better.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I've never known "Get" is used instead of "be" in passive sentences. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree, or am confused... Get in English-"My wallet got stolen" or "My wallet was stolen" Do these mean the same thing? One seems more historic or passive. Interpretted into Spanish-would they mean the same thing?

    ReplyDelete