Monday, June 14, 2010

Young Readers

I am very proud of my daughter Maria for many reasons. Maria is 17 years old and will be a senior in high school next year. She does very well in school and is involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities in school, volunteer work, and sports. She loves to play on the rugby team. But one of the things I am most proud of is that she loves to read. She signed up to be in the Book Club at school next year and has already read two books this summer that she plans to recommend to the Book Club members as books for the group to read and discuss. I notice that many young people don't read much. They spend a lot of time watching TV, using the cell phone, on the computer checking their Facebook account, and "hanging out" with their friends, but much time at the library looking for new books to read. Since I believe that reading is one of the best ways to learn and become a lifelong learner, I am very pleased to see that Maria is developing a love for reading at a young age.

5 comments:

  1. wow, your daughter is great .I'm so admire people can say bilingual,I remembered you said this before .I like read also , I'm trying to read English story now ,but many new vocabulary let me read so slowly .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena,

    Keep reading, and don't worry if you don't understand every word. Just try to get the main idea.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I know that feeling because my daugther Gabi loves to read everyday. All my kids read at least 30 minutes a day and we go to the library once a week. Reading is a fun thing to do at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading is the fundamental base to learn English.The more we read,,we are improving our vocabulary.Besides we dont understand each word that we are reading, we should keep reading and practice our english.I don't like to read but AI have to do it becuase this will help me to improve my Engish vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex and Rivera,

    Alex, I'm glad to hear your daughter loves to read. You should have her read in Portuguese and English. This is one of the best habits a young person can develop.

    And yes, Rivera, the same goes for adult ESL students. Reading is one of the fastest ways to improve your English. And maybe you will even learn to like it...:)

    Thanks for your comments.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete