Saturday, June 26, 2010

Words, Words, Words

I am a language teacher (Spanish and English) and I am also a translator and interpreter of the same languages. Translators deal with words. Some people say that there are only three things you need to know about a word; its meaning(s), pronunciation, and how it is used in a sentence (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc.) But it's not that simple.

Words have many different aspects that need to be taken into account when learning a language or translating the words into another language. I will use the English word lovely as an example. Aside from the word's basic meaning (beautiful), pronunciation (lovely is made up of five separate sounds, two syllables, with the stress on the first syllable), and how it is used in sentences (as an adjective), all of which can be found in a good dictionary, there are other aspects of the word lovely that we need to be aware of. Following is a discussion of some of these aspects.

Connotations. Most words have connotations, which means that they can imply subtle emotions, feelings, and relationships to other words. Some connotations of lovely, are that it is usually used to described beauty in women ("She's a lovely woman" but not "He's a lovely man")and situations and cultural things(It's a lovely sunset.") Lovely has the feeling of softness. You might say that a painting or work of art is lovely, but you would probably not say that a car was lovely, no matter how beautiful the car was.

Differences of degree. Lovely is often described as a synonym for pretty or good looking or gorgeous. But for most people, these words would represent different points on a beauty "scale." A woman described as lovely would rank higher on the beauty "scale" than one described as pretty or good looking, but lower on the scale than one described as gorgeous. There are probably no true synonyms because of these small differences in meaning and usage.

Level of formality or register. Some words have a more formal, quaint, or "old fashioned" feel when you use them. Lovely is one of those words. Most teenagers and young people probably don't use the word lovely very much for this reason. They might prefer to use a more "modern" word like hot when describing a lovely woman.

Usage. Most words in English can be used equally by men or women. But there are certain words, like lovely, that are more commonly used by females than males. Men usually don't say lovely. Some other words that are used more often by women than men are divine, adorable, delightful, and sweetie.

Intonation reflecting attitude. Most words' meanings can be changed by the intonation used to pronounce them. If you say, "Well, that's just lovely !" stressing the word lovely and saying the sentence with a sarcastic tone of voice, you don't mean lovely at all. What you mean is that something is a mess, or a problem.

Most words are not as simple as they first appear. So we need to be careful with the way we use and translate them.

18 comments:

  1. This is definitely intuition we take for granted as native English speakers. Growing up as a bilingual speaker, I'm sure every language has it's similar nuances (i.e., certain phrases that are attributed to female vs male).

    Is there any way to help a foreign language speaker get accustomed to these subtleties without having to make a mistake first? (Is there a place I could go to that I could find this stuff out?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes is over my head to remember one word is verb also noun. Do you have a good way to remember it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serena, what is your native language?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike and Serena,

    Great comments. Mike, you say you grew up as a bilingual speaker. What language did you grow up speaking besides English?

    Where can you find out these subtleties and nuances of words without making a mistake and "learning the hard way?" Great question. Some of this information about words can be found in very good dictionaries like The Oxford English Dictionary or you can check www.dictionary.com to find mutiple entries for a word from several dictionaries. But usually this kind of information isn't captured in dictionaries. It is learned by "living" the language and hearing the different ways native speakers use (and don't use) words in different contexts. And yes, sometimes you learn these things "the hard way" by making mistakes. Sometimes that's the best learning because you tend not to forget these lessons...:)

    Thanks for your comments!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other language I grew up with is Mandarin. My comprehension skills > speaking > reading > writing (which is typically the case for an American Born Chinese).

    I took a class on Chinese conversation last quarter and realized that while I speak quite well in day to day topics that I know very well (people are often amazed at my 'authentic' Beijing accent even though my family is from Taiwan), as soon as I move into the specialized topics / debates, I'd struggle. In particular, I could whip out half a sentence in rapid Mandarin, then stutter as I tried to find the right words (mostly nouns) to stick in.

    I guess they say to be truly fluent in a language, you must be able to think in that language. For the simpler topics in life, I have reached this level -- anything more complicated and I become just another foreign student.

    @Serena -- I think the best way to figure out English is to find a source of native English speakers and to listen to them speak sentences on common topics that you identify with. There's something about hearing sentences and hearing where the stresses are placed (on the noun / verb / adj / etc) that I've found helped me with Mandarin immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My native language is Chinese Mandarin .

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long have you been learning English for? (I've always been trying to improve my Chinese)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike,

    Just curious. How did you find my blog? I appreciate your excellent comments.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff, Mike isn't your student ?

    I have been learning for many year in China and one year in the US .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been learning English for many years in china and one year in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just graduated from college and am working on a language project with a few friends this summer. It kind of stemmed out of frustration for a resource to go to for quick, easy translation of short, colloquial text.

    I'd be in my conversation class at school and want a resource that could take care of context, had some audio, and was easy to use.

    I think I might have seen you post in a translation group on LinkedIn, or maybe through another language blog.

    I enjoy the frequency and the content of your posts very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike,

    I'm glad you found my blog. I have a profile on Linkedin.com, so maybe you found it there. Please keep visiting and commenting on my blog; I enjoy your comments. Where did you graduate from college? I'd be interested in knowing more about the language project you are working on.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  13. I graduated from Stanford University (California) this past spring.

    We're trying to provide the translation of small snippets of web content to our users. This stems from the problem that I've faced -- I want a simple translation of something that Google Translate isn't good enough for -- where do I go?
    I'd use forums, but they seem too bulky in this Web2.0 world.

    www.stackoverflow.com is a similar site dedicated to the programming community -- it's fast, reliable and all the programmers know about it to collaborate.

    We want this kind of back and forth interaction between monolingual, bilingual, freelance translator -- all in the context of sharing interesting content.

    We're releasing a beta version real soon, and so I've been trying to get more involved with the translation world and here I am!

    Would you be interested in testing the beta version and giving us feedback?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike,

    Yes, I'd definitely be interested because I do translating and interpreting, mostly Spanish into English, and I am interested in Machine Translation as a tool for translators. I'd be happy to test the beta version of your software and give you feedback. I like Google Translate, but am aware of its limitations. In the end, there is really no substitute for a good human translator. I will check out the www.stackoverflow.com site in the meantime.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great thanks! I'll connect to you through LinkedIn, and notify you when we are ready to launch.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike,

    I look forward to hearning from you and reviewing your beta program!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree a lot with mike's first comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeff-you mentioned above the use of "Intonation" as a clue or definition of what the speaker is inteneding the sentence to sound like. When you lived in Mexico=is their sarcasm and intonation similar to ours. Or does this also need some interpreting? Just curious - not having lived in a non-English speaking country.

    ReplyDelete