Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Heat and Humidity

It is really starting to heat up in Indiana this summer, with temperatures in the 80s and 90s, and relative humidity at similar levels. I am from the Southwestern U.S. (Arizona and New Mexico), so I grew up with hot summers (often above 100 degrees), and with low humidity. In other words, a dry heat. I can be comfortable in very high temperatures with low humidity, but the combination of heat and humidity as we have in the Midwest in the summer just about kills me. When the humidity is low, the body can sweat and cool itself off through evaporation. But when the humidity is high, you sweat but the sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you down. For this reason, I dread the Indiana summers and probably will as long as I live here. That's also why I would never go to Florida in the summer, where the humidity is even higher. Give me that good old dry heat any day.

5 comments:

  1. I think the summer of Indianapolis is hotter than my city QingDao,but QD is humider than here.I don't like humid,it looks like in the oven,I feel hard to breath.It's ok,the humid day only a couple of days in QD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena,

    I hate humidity! :( It's good you don't have too many humid days in QingDao. On those days I would drink QingDao beer to cool off...:)

    Thanks for your comments!


    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    You should try to go to Brasil. You'll love over there, even in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No humidity in Brazil? What about in the jungles?

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like weather in Indianapolis, it is extreme. My city Cuernavaca in Mexcio is called "The Eternal Spring" . I miss my country for the weather, but I know that here I have better oportunity for grow.

    ReplyDelete