Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Language Learning: Input > Processing/Thinking > Output

I believe that with language learning it is important to talk about input, processing/thinking, and output. Input is listening and reading and output is speaking and writing. Processing/thinking is that complex process that occurs between taking in input (listening or reading) and preparing output (speaking and writing). I believe that in language learning input precedes and is more important than output.

Think about how a baby learns its native language. The baby spends about two years listening to what will be its native language being spoken by its parents, other adults and children, and programs on the television and radio. The baby is surrounded by this constant barrage of language pretty much all the time except when it is asleep. Then after two years the baby starts speaking its first words, and then its language begins to develop very rapidly for the next few years. By age five or six the child understands and is very fluent in its native language.

It's not that different with adults learning a language. They need to listen to the target language and read a lot in the language (input) before they are ready to start speaking and writing fluently (output). This has implications for language teaching. I tell my Spanish students to listen to as much Spanish as they can (Spanish TV channels and movies, Spanish radio stations, free Internet podcasts in Spanish) and read as much Spanish as they can (free Spanish newspapers at Mexican restaurants, books in Spanish for children and young adults, and reading Spanish sites on the Internet). I tell them not to worry if they don't understand everything they listen to and read. Just like babies, it takes a while for the input to all soak in, and then the output kicks into high gear.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it isn't difficult for other students to learning second language . Improve English need to remember many words and speak a lots to people , I think for me it isn't easy job.
    First time to use this website , I hope I know how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena,

    Thank you for your comment. Learning a second language is difficult for everyone. It takes time and patience, and a lot of input: listening and reading. Good luck!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that I have a very good commend of the English language, so when I listen to Spanish recordings and don't understand EVERYTHING, it is very frustrating to me. It makes me feel stupid, though I know it is just the "growing pains" of learning the new language. I have to really force myself to listen to the Spanish language. I really wish I could find a good source for Spanish spoken slooooowly the way we speak slower to our little ones so they can catch every single word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,

    I know it is easier said than done, but somehow when we are learning a foreign language, we have to learn to be satisfied with not understanding everything (in the beginning), and feel good about just understanding the "jist" of what we hear or read. This is easier for some than others.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Beth that trying to incorporate input into my daily spanish routine is very frustrating! I have been trying to listen to spanish radio but feel that I am taking nothing in, since they often speak much quicker than I feel i can process. The output part of spanish makes logical sense to my brain, the input is harder for its to register the benefit from! I will hang in there though!

    ReplyDelete